Patient Participation Group
What is a Patient Participation Group (PPG) & what can it do for you?
Help the Practice to Improve its Service
- Providing feedback (but not complaints) from patients, eg on how the surgery is performing.
- Monitoring the accessibility of practice communications, eg offering feedback on ways to improve the practice website, Newsletter & leaflets.
- Carrying out a practice survey into a variety of subjects, eg measuring patient satisfaction, health needs, awareness and expectations.
- Designing new services or help keep existing ones.
- Exploring the changing needs of patients.
- Organising health fairs.
- Offering handouts and support on special days, eg No Smoking Day.
- Taking control of a PPG newsletter to be designed and run by the group.
- Representing the practice locally and nationally when patient voices are needed.
Arranging Special Health Events
- Encouraging health education activities within the practice, eg training in basic first aid for patients.
- Increasing self awareness of particular illnesses, eg breast cancer.
- Training new patients to distinguish when to call for medical assistance and when to self-treat.
- Acting as representative group that can be called on to influence the local provision of health and social care.